[PlanetCCRMA] re: rh9 or fedora

Tim Moody timm@sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 5 17:28:02 2004

Here is the modules file.  Note that I get an error from insmod re:
sound.o during boot.
/etc/modules.conf

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 8139too
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
#options snd snd_cards_limit=3

note that I commented out the last line, trying to put things back to
where they were.

I modified blacklist as per the instructions as follows, but have
removed the last lines for midiman.
#
# Listing a module here prevents the hotplug scripts from loading it.
# Usually that'd be so that some other driver will bind it instead,
# no matter which driver happens to get probed first.  Sometimes user
# mode tools can also control driver binding.
#
# Syntax:  driver name alone (without any spaces) on a line. Other
# lines are ignored.
#

# uhci ... usb-uhci handles the same pci class
usb-uhci
# usbcore ... module is loaded implicitly, ignore it otherwise
usbcore

# tulip ... de4x5, xircom_tulip_cb, dmfe (...) handle same devices
de4x5
# At least 2.4.3 and later xircom_tulip doesn't have that conflict
# xircom_tulip_cb
dmfe

# for midiman
usb-midi
audio

Also, pd will not start complaining that

[root@neptune root]# pd
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1055:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c failed:
No such device
snd_pcm_open (input): No such device
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1055:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed:
No such device
snd_pcm_open (output): No such device
pd: pcm.c:952: snd_pcm_start: Assertion `pcm' failed.
Pd: signal 6
Aborted
[root@neptune root]# pd_gui: pd process exited

/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c exists in /dev/snd

Thanks for your help,
Tim

> / I am new to Planet CCRMA.  I installed fedora core 1 linux (upgrade

/>/ from rh8 which already had OSS and alsa installed) and ccrma packages,
/>/ though it seems the planetccrma-audiovideoappspackage is not there or
/>/ are some of the video apps.  Everything seemed to work with my SBLive
/>/ card, but I subsequently tried to get my Steinberg midisport 2x2 to
/>/ work.  This broke the sound card, which is still silent even after I
/>/ removed changes for the midisport.
/>/ />/ My question is, should I wipe my Linux partition and start over
with
/>/ rh9 and wait for fedora to be complete or forge ahead with
/>/ troubleshooting on fedora. /
In terms of sound support the kernel and alsa driver versions are the
same so it should not make a difference. Probably not worth to reinstall
rh9. Could you post the contents of your current /etc/modules.conf?

> / I was hoping to use the video apps as well as the audio one.

/
The most important video editing apps are there (cinelerra, kino). Which
ones are you missing that are important for what you want to do?

I would like to use the video extensions to pd.

> / Also, I noticed that kernel 2.6 is now released.  How does this affect

/>/ ccrma?
/
Eventually I'll move over to 2.6. I am not planning on jumping too soon.
I don't have fond memories of my transition here at CCRMA to early
versions of 2.4.x and 2.4.x is working fine for audio (so far). Of
course that does not mean that I will not provide some packages for the
adventurous

-- Fernando