[PlanetCCRMA] audacity and ALSA

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Thu Mar 4 07:16:02 2004

MICHAEL LUCHTAN wrote:

>Hello-
>I have installed the fedoracore1 + planet ccrma as in the directions, and
>everything works fine.
>It will take a while to figure out how to use ardour, so I want to use
>audacity for now(which I used on my old system).  I have the following
>problem though:
>When asked to identify the device for recording/playing in the preferences
>box, audicity provides me with an uneditable drop down menu of one choice,
>/dev/dsp
>Perhaps this was appropriate for the old system(without alsa), but
>shouldn't I have another choice to enter if I am using alsa?  How can I
>alter this?
>
>Michael Luchtan
>http://www.cs.uga.edu/~luchtan

It seems that to use Audacity with ALSA support requires building it
with a newer version of the PortAudio classes (v19)
This version is still under development, so I presume this package is
compiled with the previous version.
See the following URLs:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?LinuxIssues
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?PortAudio
http://www.portaudio.com/
http://www.portaudio.com/status.html
Note that PortAudio v19 also includes Jack support ... now that would be
nice :-)

David