[PlanetCCRMA] update: kernel on the edge

Thu Mar 4 16:36:02 2004

Hi all, I have new versions of the Planet CCRMA kernels and ALSA driver
online. If somebody is willing to test them I would appreciate feedback.
- kernel-2.4.25-1.ll:
  based on 2.4.25 with the usual low latency goodies.

- kernel-2.4.20-30.1.caps
  the redhat kernel with capabilities (includes fixes for the recent
  vulnerabilities)

The ALSA drivers are based on cvs, post 1.0.3.

To install the new RedHat 9 kernel and drivers add this line
temporarily(*) to your /etc/apt/sources.list (all in one line):

rpm http:///www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/9/en/i386
planetedge

(substitute 7.3 or 8.0 if you are running that)
Or for Fedora Core 1:

rpm http:///www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt fedora/1/i386
planetedge

Then do a "apt-get update" and then:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core
or for the redhat kernel:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core-redhat

or for the multiprocessor kernels:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core-smp
or
  apt-get install planetccrma-core-redhat-smp

When starting the new ALSA drivers you may get error messages when the
mixer configuration is restored if (for your card) the names or numbers
of the different mixer controls have changed. If that happens use
alsamixer (or envy24control or the hdsp utilities) to reset your mixer
to the desired state and do a "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" to store the new
configuration.

These packages will become "official" in a few days if I don't see any
showstopper negative feedback about them. I have the 2.4.25 kernel
running here at CCRMA with no problems (that I know off :-)

Test and let me know...
-- Fernando

(*)the Planet Edge repository is bleeding edge stuff so it would be wise
to keep it disabled (commented out) in your sources.list unless you know
you want to get something from it.