[PlanetCCRMA] FC1 System Hangs after CCRMA installation

Thu Mar 11 09:12:01 2004

> I've recently intalled the Planet on my Fedora Core 1 box and am
> experiencing some system hangs.
>
> Due to a lack of time and a slow network connection, the installation
> took a couple of weeks.  I just finished it this past weekend.  I
> installed the CCRMA kernel, reinstalled my NVidia drivers, configured
> ALSA, did a dist-upgrade, then installed Jack, Qjackctl, Jamin, and
> Ardour.  I also did an apt-get update a couple of times in there.
>
> I started noticing problems Tuesday.  After leaving the system
> running overnight, it would not respond when I tried to log in
> Tuesday morning.     It was completely hung, no network connection,
> nothing.  I shut it down and restarted.  Then it hung trying to
> recover the journal for /home.  I restarted again and it hung trying
> to mount the root file system.  So I shut it down and waited about 30
> sec. and it booted fine.  Then twice during the day it hung while I
> was browsing the net or working.  I left it overnight and it was hung
> again Wednesday morning.  So I restarted into the Fedora standard
> kernel and everything has been working fine for a little over 24
> hours now.
>
> There's nothing in the syslogs to indicate a problem.  The closest
> thing I could find is the following messages:
>
> Mar  9 08:18:31 localhost kernel: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not
> connected to IO-APIC
> Mar  9 08:18:31 localhost kernel: ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0)
> through the 8259A ...  failed.
> Mar  9 08:18:31 localhost kernel: ...trying to set up timer as
> Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.
> Mar  9 08:18:32 localhost insmod: insmod: insmod bt-proto-3 failed
>
> Any idea what's going on?

Looks like there is an IRQ routing problem... I don't know what the
bt-proto-3 kernel module is, apparently something related to
bluetooth...

> I can send any info you need.  Just let me know.

There must be a bug or incompatibility in the Planet CCRMA kernel with
your hardware (which is not present in the original RedHat kernel you
were using). One option you have would be to install the capabilities
enabled RedHat kernel that is part of Planet CCRMA. You should get the
same behavior you have with the original RedHat kernel but you will be
able to use Jack as a non-root user, latency behavior will not be the
best possible but will be adequate.

Hmmm, I would also try to boot without acpi enabled, to do that edit
/boot/grub/grub.conf (carefully :-) and add "acpi=off" at the end of the
kernel boot line.

-- Fernando