[PlanetCCRMA] ladspa-sdk -> ladspa: the never ending saga

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 00:31:02 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 01:57:12 -0800, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > I finally gave up and rebuilt all ladspa plugin packages that had
> > > explicit references to ladspa-sdk (the old name), so that they don't
> > > need that, and rebuilt ladspa itself to not "Provide:" ladspa-sdk,
> > > something I initially did to mantain backwards compatibility with the
> > > older packages). So "ladspa-sdk" does not exist any more in the package
> > > repository for Fedora Core 1.
> >
> > This is probably not the tmie to mention it it, but most LADSPA plugin
> > packages probably dont need ladspa.h or the SDK. They can/should
> > internalise the .h file, and thats all you need.
> >
> > I haven't required it for a long time.
>
> Well, they should require it to build, but not to run, right?

Not even to build - theres no real advantage to using a central .h file:
ladspa requires binary compatibility across all plugins and host by
definition, so you're not going to get any benfit if the central .h file
is newer and it might not work if its older, so you way as well include
one with the plugin source.

- Steve