[PlanetCCRMA] itlinux to rh90planet success story

Fri Mar 19 19:35:01 2004

> And to Nando:  Are those new 2.4 kernels hiding on the planetedge up to date on
> security patches?  If so I'll upgrade the machines around here with them.

They don't include the very last remap (or something like that)
vulnerability. I don't think RH has released an update for that either.
Other than that, yes they should be fine.

> And when the 2.6 kernels are about to happen on the planet please tell us where
> you're hiding them.  I'll gladly give it a try.

I'll do. Funny you mention this. This past few days I've been working on
an Athlon64 machine after installing FC1 for x86_64. And I found out
that (obvious when you think about it) the low latency patches and the
preempt patches do not exist in x86_64 versions. So no low latency
unless you build 2.6.x...

To make a long story short I have a 2.6.4 + bk2 kernel x86_64 (based on
the unofficial packages at http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/) with
preempt enabled and the lsm patch. With that I was able to run jack as a
non root user with realtime privileges (same as with the capabilities
patch in 2.4.x).

But I have been unsuccessful so far in rebuilding the same source rpms
under redhat 9... still trying.
-- Fernando