[PlanetCCRMA] omlinux: line 41; 3980 Segmentation fault...

Tue Mar 23 16:22:00 2004

> > Yuck, sorry about that, it works here on my two fc1 test systems. A few
> > questionss. Are you completely up to date in all packages? (apt-get
> > dist-ugprade). Second, does it make a difference if you do a:
>
> Yes.  I mean, I believe so, but I'm new to apt (along with all the rest) so
> I could be wrong.  I was getting some error code 6 returned from rpm while
> trying to do some upgrades, but I think  have it figured out.  I tried removing
> various combinations of cmucl and cm-cmucl and clm-cmucl etc. and reinstalling
> them ( I don't really understand how the dependency structures with all that
> works yet, so I was really just fiddling around).
>
> >   LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 /usr/bin/lisp
>
> Exactly the same.  Segmentation fault.
>
> > Third, what kernel are you running?
>
> I am using Kernel 2.4.22-9.23rc3.11.rhfc1.ccrma.  I also tried booting into
> Kernel 2.2.22-1.2115.nptl and got the same.
>
> I found something in the archives from just a few days ago about chmoding
> lisp.h, but either I didn't understand it or it didn't work.

That's only for developers trying to build things on top of cmucl.

> Anyway, I have no idea where I went wrong yet, but I tried using synaptic
> and took the downgrade option for cmucl.  My version of cmucl was
> 2003.12-2.rhfc1.ccrma and I downgraded to 2003.12-1.rhfc1.ccrma.
> And now it looks like it works fine, though I wouldn't know how to do
> a serious test.  But no more seg fault.  Anyway, I'm a total newb for the
> whole environment.  Sorry I couldn't give more intelligent info.

Well, I managed (sort of) to create the same problem here in my laptop
(FC1). I'm testing kernel 2.6.4 and that is enough to kill cmucl. No
workaround so far, no tips or tricks to share. You are not doing
anything wrong, I think. It's just that there is something different in
your system that tickes a problem in cmucl.

CMUCL is _VERY_ finicky with the system it is running on. Over time I've
had nothing but troubles.

At least for the CM/CLM/CMN world I'll be looking into moving over to
SBCL. That one seems to work a lot more reliably (it still starts under
2.6.4). And it is more of a possibility to rebuild it (there are even
source rpms distributed with their releases!).

Sorry to not have better news.
-- Fernando