[PlanetCCRMA] Need to remove hiss from digitized tape recording

Brian Jarrett bjarrett@garcoschools.org
Wed Mar 31 08:13:01 2004

Well, I think I found a passable solution.

I recorded the song using ReZound, making sure that there were 5 seconds or so on the front end of silence (but the tape hiss could be clearly heard.)  I saved it as a wav file and then opened Audacity.  I used it's noise reduction feature by sampling the first few seconds of audio so it could profile the hiss, then applied the noise reducion to the entire file.

I'm actually really impressed with the results.  I don't think I could get it any better than that.

I don't know what I'd do, though, if I didn't have a few seconds at the beginning or end to sample and profile, though.

Still looking for a Dolby NR -like feature.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Jarrett
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 8:32 PM
To: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Need to remove hiss from digitized tape recording

First off let me say that this collection of software is awesome!  It's so awesome, in fact, that I'm discovering new things every day.

If I had my wish there would be some sort of documentation about what software to use for what tasks BECAUSE there is so much out there.

Since such documentation doesn't exist (that I've seen anyway) I'll post my question here:

I would like to remove (or lessen) some of the background hiss that I have from a recording I made from a tape player to through my sound card.  I haven't tried using a better cassette deck with something like Dolby Noise Reduction to see if that helps, but I was also wondering if there were some software packages that might be able to help me out.

Are there "filters" or effects that would do the same thing as Dolby NR?  Is there something that could help me isolate and remove the hiss?

Any ideas and hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian