[PlanetCCRMA] Need to remove hiss from digitized tape recording

Aaron Heller heller@AI.SRI.COM
Wed Mar 31 13:25:02 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
>>> Still looking for a Dolby NR -like feature.
>>

>> The Dolby process works because it is both an encoder _and_ decoder. The
>> encoding process compresses and boosts the high end while recording (at
>> least Dolby B/C, Dolby A is a multiband system). When playing back the
>> opposite happens, the high end is attenuated and expanded (and the noise
>> is attenuated as well). You can't apply Dolby (or something equivalent)
>> on playback only, which is your case.
>> -- Fernando

> I think he might possibly be looking for something like X-Noise from Waves:
>

> http://www.waves.com/download/pdf/XNoise.pdf
>
> Unfortunately it's Mac and Windows, but at least it's a target for some
> cool developer to shoot for one day...

A single-ended noise reduction system that does run on Linux is Gnome Wave Cleaner

   see http://gwc.sourceforge.net/

It compiles cleanly on RH9/CCMRA.  I haven't tested it, but it appears to be based on some solid work.

Aaron Heller <heller@ai.sri.com>
Menlo Park, CA