[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 and Planet CCRMA: status report

Fri May 21 18:27:01 2004

Hi all... there is preliminary _applications_ only support for Fedora
Core 2 in the usual place[*] (but no updates to the web pages yet). The
packages include most of the applications that were part of Planet CCRMA
for Fedora Core 1. There are still some applications that fail to
compile or do not run:

- Do not build: ecamegapedal, rezound, timfx, denemo
- Build but do not run: mammut, ceres (these two I discovered yesterday)

Fedora Core 2 includes the newer kernel 2.6.x, and ALSA instead of OSS,
so if you do a clean install you will have ALSA running (hopefully).
Regretfully the Fedora Core 2 kernel (2.6.5 with pathes that make it
almost 2.6.6) does not have preempt turned on (ie: does not have the
best possible latency), does not have the capabilities security system
compiled as a module (CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES) - something that is
required to have the equivalent of the "capabilities patch" in the 2.4.x
Planet CCRMA world (the realcap kernel module by Jack O'Quin) - and has
firewire turned off. I have an alternate kernel based on 2.6.6 (based on
Arjanv's unofficial 1.370 build) almost ready but there are latency
problems with video (at least with the Radeon chipsets) that I'm (ahem,
well, actual kernel gurus, not me) trying to pin down - and apparently
with other stuff as well. So, in the meanwhile you could use Fedora's
kernel but you won't be able to run jack with realtime priority as a
non-root user. I should probably try to release a kernel asap even with
the latency problems, better than nothing...

Midishare does not yet exist for the 2.6.x kernel so I have not even
tried building Open Music for Linux (it will have issues with the newer
version of cmucl that I'm using for the rest of the Common Lisp based
world, I could not build clg, which is a requirement). Because of the
lack of MidiShare, Common Music and Fluidsynth have not been built with
support for it.

No need to say it if you have read this far, but just in case: I would
recommend against upgrading to FC2 at this point :-)

Packages that have changed versions or release numbers in FC2 (most of
the version changes will be rebuilt on FC1 and earlier if possible):

- alsadrv/classlibs: to release 2, they now include all libs for aeolus
- alsa-patch-bay from 1.0.0-1 to 1.0.0-2 (removed redundant menu
  entries)
- apt from 0.5.15cnc2 to 0.5.15cnc6 (sync with freshrpms)
- clisp from 2.32 to 2.33
- cmucl from 2003.12 to 2004.05
- clm to 2004.05.19
- cmn to 2004.05.18
- faad from 2.0rc3 to 2.0
- gamix from release 1 to 2 (added icon - same as FC1)
- gtkmm2 from 2.2.8 to 2.2.9
- kino from 0.6.5 to 0.7.1
- muse from 0.6.3 to 0.7.0pre2 (this does not yet build on FC1 or
  earlier as it requires qt >= 3.2)
- qamix from release 1 to 2 (added icon - same as FC1)
- rev-plugins from release 1 to 2 (same in FC1)
- snd from 7.3 to 7.4 (and added snd-gtk as well)
- swh-plugins from 0.4.3-[1|2] to 0.4.3-3: fixed rdf install and file
  list
- synaptic from 0.45-1 to 0.48.2-1 (sync with freshrpms)

So, that's all for now....
It's been busy!
Enjoy!

-- Fernando

[*] If you _still_ install FC2 :-)

Add this to /etc/apt/sources.list (the new Planet CCRMA apt comes with
this preconfigured)

rpm http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt fedora/2/i386 core updates
rpm http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt fedora/2/i386 planetccrma
rpm http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt fedora/2/i386 planetcore

(planetcore is empty at this time)
Your /etc/apt/apt.conf should be like this:

APT {
    Clean-Installed "false";
    Get {
        Assume-Yes "false";
        Download-Only "false";
        Show-Upgraded "true";
        Fix-Broken "false";
        Ignore-Missing "false";
        Compile "false";
    };
};

Acquire {
    Retries "0";
    Http {
        Proxy ""; // http://user:pass@host:port/
    }
};

RPM {
    Ignore { };
    Hold { };
    Allow-Duplicated { "^kernel(-(BOOT|smp|bigmem|debug|doc|source)|)$";
"^gpg-pubkey$" };
    Options { };
    Install-Options { "--oldpackage" };
    Erase-Options "";