[PlanetCCRMA] just some feedback

Duke Jonathan Jason sysnon@tin.it
Fri Oct 1 06:18:02 2004

hello,
I just wanted to give this little succesfull report.

about, 1 year ago I tried first time to install planet ccrma suite with
isos on cds on a redhat9 distro.

had some troubles making all work without error messages, but wasn't all
that mess.
anyway it took me much time to understand some simple things that on
linux require much research for who is not involved enough in it. and
that is still a lack of the system behaviour in itself, that, despite
the recent iprovements toward a normal user, with a more intuitive
approach, the situation remains still in advantage in xp and macosx
systems, because of the less tech barriers that help focusing on makin
music, with quality and stability.

this time I had the opportunity to make a network installation, on a
fedora core 2 distro.

all worked fine, then I tried to run all the audio/video apps for a check.
I encountered a little problem when trying to run audio apps using jack,
such as muse or ardour,
I had an issue with the realtime capabilities.

then I found this, after little time

from
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/changelog.html#latestplanetcoretwo

> The realcap kernel module: If you want to run Jack with realtime
> scheduling but without being a root user then you have to load the
> realcap module. You can use this init script to get this loaded when
> the machine boots. It is a first version I wrote today and should be
> extended to be in a nice package of its own with docs and more tests
> for corner cases. But this is a start. To activate the automatic load
> of the module copy the script to /etc/rc.d/init.d/realcap and activate
> it:
>
> /sbin/chkconfig --add realcap

I did it, and worked.

and I happily run all the apps with no problems....

this time has been easier, and it took muuuuuch less time than the
first, with all that detailed engineering and tweakin.

for example I simply discovered that there's a visual app called
somethin like jackcontrol, which makes u run jack server, whitout the
need to run it on shell.

anyway some apps are still oldstyle (I started makin music on computer
with protracker on amiga, then fastracker2 on pc, lol), also if they do
their work. and probably a reason or live application like on linux will
be a real kickass when it will appear. actually they could go with wine,
but haven't tested it yet.

the cubase rival is already muse also, if I have just given a glance of
the overall suite of programs of planet ccrma.

consider that this last feedback on apps is just from a user point of
view, by a programmer point of view, this is a huge great work that just
deserve congratulations and further support.

that's it, good work Fernando :)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0440-2, 29/09/2004
Tested on: 01/10/2004 15.14.23