[PlanetCCRMA] The el cheapo myth

Timo Sivula timo.sivula@luukku.com
Sat Oct 2 20:47:02 2004

su, 2004-10-03 kello 09:00, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano kirjoitti:

> working at all. Try:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
> (should not complain)
> Make sure there are no audio modules running and then:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start

Alsa still refuses to stop giving the device or resource busy excuse.

> I would try first with only two cards (comment out the third card in the
> modules.conf file).

Did that. Now I have sound on the second card, as opposed to the first
one which was the case with the alsaconf generated modules.conf. I may
have missed this in my previous experiments, expecting default sound on
the same card always.

> What do you see in /proc/asound/cards
[root@timo timo]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [AudioPCI_1     ]: ENS1370 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                     Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1370 at 0xe800, irq 12
1 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1370 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                     Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1370 at 0xec00, irq 11
2 [AudioPCI_2     ]: ENS1370 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                     Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1370 at 0xe400, irq 11

and /proc/asound/devices?
[root@timo timo]# cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:       : timer
 32: [1- 0]: ctl
 40: [1- 0]: raw midi
 49: [1- 1]: digital audio playback
 48: [1- 0]: digital audio playback
 56: [1- 0]: digital audio capture
 64: [2- 0]: ctl
 72: [2- 0]: raw midi
 81: [2- 1]: digital audio playback
 80: [2- 0]: digital audio playback
 88: [2- 0]: digital audio capture

I now have sound on card #2 with my homemade modules.conf. However, I
can not see more than 2 audio i/o channels for the one and only alsa_pcm
available in the qjackctl connections "Readable Clients / Output ports"
and "Writable Clients / Input Ports" audio window. I can see the midi
i/o:s of all three cards, but only one audio i/o.

Thanks for the help,
Timo