[PlanetCCRMA] redhat trouble with grub

Noah Garrett Wallach logic@enabled.com
Tue Oct 5 15:25:01 2004

On 05 Oct 2004 15:20:33 -0700, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote

> > > Well, you don't need to rebuild from source, a low latency version of
> > >
> > > 2.4.26 is available from Planet CCRMA. You just need to install it with
> > > "apt-get install planetccrma-core" or "planetccrma-core-smp" for an smp
> > > kernel.
> >
> > Okay I retrieved and installed the 2.4.26 kernel with apt-get.  I boot up with
> > both the SMP (which is proper) and non-SMP kernel.
> >
> > under each scenario - GNOME environment fails which the following appearing in
> > the .xsession-errors
> >
> > --- snip ---
> >
> > $ cat .xsession-errors.backup
> >
> > GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 135 (): error 'No such process'
> > during 'pthread_getschedparam (pthread_self(), &policy, &sched)'
> > aborting...
> > [noah@dhcp-183-1-168-192 noah]$ date
> > Tue Oct  5 14:55:00 PDT 2004
> > [noah@dhcp-183-1-168-192 noah]$
> >
> > --- snip ---
> >
> > and when I switch to KDE environment I am unable to run applications like
> > xterm and mozilla.  so this kernel does not appear to be working well for me.
> >
> > any other clues?
>
> This reminds me of an old bug in a RedHat 9 version of glibc that would
> improperly recognize whether the kernel supported nptl (the new
> threading model). The 2.4.26 Planet CCRMA low latency kernel does not
> support nptl because the nptl patch is big and conflicts with the low
> latency patches. If glibc misinterprets the kernel threading model
> (as it is probably the case here) then heavily threaded apps like
> mozilla do not run, but others that do not rely on threads work fine.
>
> If this is the case then upgrading glibc to a version that does not have
> the bug is the only way out.

thanks fernando - can you please recommend a glibc version?  I want to install
a more recent farvorite please?

-- snip ---

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
--disable-checking --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
--host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)

--- snip ---

cheers,

Noah