[PlanetCCRMA] redhat trouble with grub

Wed Oct 6 18:14:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 15:22, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:

> > > well I have an Enterprise Redhat Network subscription and everything is up to
> > > date in regards to the Redhat Network.  So I am not quite sure I want to go
> > > beyond the versions that Redhat is syphoning to me.
> >
> > Most probably you don't want to if you want stability. If you have a
> > subscription you may want to file a bug report......
> >
> > > --- snip ---
> > >
> > > $ gcc -v
> > > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3/specs
> > > Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
> > > --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
> > > --disable-checking --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
> > > --host=i386-redhat-linux
> > > Thread model: posix
> > > gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)
> > >
> > > --- snip ---
> > >
> > > with rpmfind.net I am finding that the recent version is
> > > glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm
> > >
> > > well 2.3.2-42 is running on my machine which is even newer than 2.3.2-27
> > >
> > > any other ideas about what I can do here?
> >
> > Not really, if I'm right about the problem the only way out is to
> > use a newer glibc, or to just be happy with the Planet CCRMA RedHat based
> > kernel...
>
> I think that kernel was unable to recognize the gigE interface on the
> motherboard.  any possibilties of getting that cqapability recognized in the
> OPlanet CCRMA RedHat kernel pelase?

Yes, I remember now. Sorry, but I don't have the time to build custom
kernels for more distros, at least not now :-(

You could download the source for this kernel, extract the "capabilities
patch" (very simple) patch, and try to add it to the source rpm of the
Enterprise kernel you are using and rebuild it...

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.20-30.1.caps.src.rpm

Sorry to not have better news...
-- Fernando