[PlanetCCRMA] realtime-lsm in Planetedge?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sun Oct 10 11:07:01 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:02:56 -0400, Kevin Ernste <kevinernste@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark -
>
> Things are running well here out on the edge.  I believe you just need
> "realcap" instead of "realtime".  There is also an init.d script
> "realcap" for loading at boot, perhaps you have already been using it.
>
> Kevin
>

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 07:23:18 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fernando, Steve, or anyone else using Planetedge,
> >    Is the realtime-lsm module included in this set of kernels? I do
> > not seem to be able to modprobe it. I guess it's not there?
> >
> > [root@Godzilla root]# modprobe realtime gid=501 allcaps=1
> > FATAL: Module realtime not found.
> > [root@Godzilla root]#
> >
> >    Planetedge is working with the HDSP9652, at least as root. The HDSP
> > driver will apparently not allow -p settings less than 64 so I cannot
> > go as far as I did with the ATI sound chip in my laptop right now.
> >
> > [mark@Godzilla mark]$ uname -a
> > Linux Godzilla 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vS7.ll.rhfc2.ccrmasmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 27
> > 20:18:28 PDT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> >
> >    I'll likely build my own kernel thismorning.
> >
> > Happy Sunday to you all,
> > Mark

I'm running what I think is the newest Planetedge kernel. DId I pick
the wrong one? I cannot start jackstart or jackd -R:

[mark@Godzilla mark]$ uname -a
Linux Godzilla 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vS7.ll.rhfc2.ccrma #1 Mon Sep 27
19:44:47 PDT 2004  i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[mark@Godzilla mark]$ jackstart -dalsa -dhw:0
jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
           =ep cap_setpcap-e
    probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
    a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"
[mark@Godzilla mark]$ jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with System V SHM support
cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
jack_create_thread: error -1 switching current thread to rt for
inheritance: Unknown error 4294967295
cannot start watchdog thread
cannot load driver module alsa
[mark@Godzilla mark]$

I do not have realtime or realcap in /etc/init.d...

[mark@Godzilla mark]$ ls /etc/init.d/re*
/etc/init.d/readahead  /etc/init.d/readahead_early
[mark@Godzilla mark]$

My understanding of the realtime capabilities patch on 2.6.8 kernels
is that it is a module that is modprobed. I'm built it in and am using
it on my Gentoo kernel, but it was a kernel patch.

I'm confused, but thanks for your help.

- Mark

I cannot find that here. Maybe