[PlanetCCRMA] making Athlon XP a dual Athlon MP for linux audio purposes?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 13 04:00:02 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:22:29AM +0200, Piotr Sawicki wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody tried to link the L5 bridge on the Athlon XP to work as a
> dual Athlon MP for using linux audio?
> I have found on:
> http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=2&id=393&pg=2
> a howto for it, but they say it is rather for enthusiasts and not really
> for production machines, so I wanted to know, if any of You had
> experience with this,  and if its stable, and how it works with linux
> audio (because there was only windows xp tested).
> I'm considering to buy a second hand tyan mainboard Tiger MP S2460.
> Do you have any better solutions?

Buy a faster single CPU machine? ;)

I used to run an SMP linux audio machine but it was more trouble than its
worth IMHO. SMP systems dont get tested as much and thy are significantly
more complicated. Also there were latency problems with 2.6 SMP machines,
but these may have been solved.

Hopefully this will change once dual core processors are common but for
the time being I think its just too close to the bleeding edge.

OTOH I have a number of SMP linux servers and a normal desktop and thier
very stable, but low latency is a bit of a mintority interest in the linux
world.

- Steve