[PlanetCCRMA] Lacie Firewire drive on Planet CCRMA

Aaron Heller heller@AI.SRI.COM
Mon Oct 18 12:18:01 2004

I've found that a couple of my firewire drives need an "extra nudge" to get
recognized.  One is an iomega and the other is an Ikebana that Fry's had on
sale at one point.  Seagate and Maxtor drives work fine.

Here's a script that I found that causes the problem drives to be
recognized.   I haven't tried it on FC1 or 2, but it looks pretty generic.
I put it at
  http://www.ai.sri.com/ajh/rescan-scsi-bus.sh.txt
(I stuck .txt on the end, so your browser doesn't try to run it)

Here's another firewire-ish question...  One of my machines (running CCRMA
RH9) has a TB raid array and multiple FW drives which are used to backup
the raid.  These appear as /dev/sd*, however the assignment of a given
drive to a particular /dev/sd device varies from boot to boot.  Is there
anyway to force the assignment to be the same from boot to boot?

Thanks...  Aaron Heller <heller@ai.sri.com> Menlo Park, CA

--On Monday, October 18, 2004 11:14 -0700 Mark Knecht