[PlanetCCRMA] Future OS direction

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 09:37:00 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 08:49:44AM -0700, Mike Witt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this is an appropriate list to ask a non-technical question.
> If not, someone please redirect me.
>
> I'm new here. I've been using "Logic" on a PowerBook for some time,
> and I'd like to move my musical activities to an Open Source based
> system. I've been looking at PlanetCCRMA and I'm curious about the future
> OS strategy. I'm not completely clear about what's going on with
> Fedora, so I might have this wrong, but it appears that it is only
> a "temporary" measure to support Red Had Linux with updates for
> a while.

Oh, the temporaryness you might be thinking of could be the lifecycle.
Fedora releases are not mailtained for very long (a year or so I think).
After that time you have to either start using Fedora Legacy to keep it up
to date, or upgrade. Upgrading is about as painful as it is under OSX, so
not too bad, but not a bundle of laughs.

NB, Planet CCRMA does not support PPC machines, so you'l have to use PC
hardware if you want to run Planet CCRMA.

- Steve