[PlanetCCRMA] Re: difficulty installing ccrma kernel

Axel Thimm planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 26 11:28:02 2004

--jKBxcB1XkHIR0Eqt

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 11:05:16AM -0700, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrot=
e:
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 00:31, Joakim Verona wrote:
> > Here is my attempt at upgrading the kernel now:
> > [root@naru apt]# apt-get -o RPM::Install-Options::=3D--oldpackage insta=
ll planetccrma-core-smp
> >   planetccrma-core-smp: Depends: kernel-version-smp-athlon (=3D
> >   2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma)
> >                         Depends:
> >   alsa-kernel-smp-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma-athlon (=3D
> >   1.0.4-1.cvs.rh90.ccrma)

> You have two options. Either disable atrpms or install the kernel
> manually. The "planetccrma-core-*" has very specific requirements and
> those match specific versions of alsa. At this point in time atrpms has
> newer versions than the ones available at Planet CCRMA, so those get
> selected and "conflict" with the requirements of planetccrma-core-*.

There is yet another option, just install the kernel from PlanetCCRMA
by its name and not planetccrma-core*. ATrpms has support for
PlanetCCRMA's kernel, e.g. every kernel module that can be built for
it (nvidia, alsa, ipw2100, drbd, ...) has been built.

> So, you can disable atrpms (comment out the urls from sources.list and
> do an "apt-get update") and then install the kernel "manually" by doing
> first:
>   apt-get install kernel-smp

In that case you don't need to disable ATrpms, see above. you only
need to disable ATrpms if you want apt to install planetccrma-core*.

(Although I'd argue that apt should have been pulling in the
explicitly given packages instead of bailing out, apt-get install
package=3D<version> works, why not from the Requires?)

BTW you can also do

apt-get install kernel-version-smp-athlon=3D2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma \
		alsa-kernel-smp-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma-athlon=3D1.0.4-1.cvs.rh90.ccrma \

e.g. the versions given as "not found", and apt will play this time :)

> That is called "pinning" but I'm not an expert. Supposedly the atrpms
> configuration has that enabled with different priorities for each
> repository, maybe something has changed and broken that.=20

Nothing has changed with ATrpms, neither in pinning, nor in fftw
(other thread). I really wonder, what has caused all this turbulence,
the repos were working so nicely together ... :/
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--jKBxcB1XkHIR0Eqt

--jKBxcB1XkHIR0Eqt--