[PlanetCCRMA] automake 1.7

Tue Oct 26 16:05:03 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 15:19, Dave Phillips wrote:
>   I want to build Ardour myself, but it now requires automake 1.7 or
> higher. Alas, my Planet C RH 9 includes automake only up to 1.6. Can I
> safely install 1.7 from an RPM found elsewheres ?

Sigh :-)
Newer versions of build tools... Or base packages...
So much fun :-)

I'll have to do this sooner or later. Right now I'm looking at whether
the automake17 source rpm from fc2 compiles under rh9. We'll see... it
is building so far. Usually I recommend against installing an rpm "found
elsewhere" (it depends on where you find it, of course).

> On a related note, I usually run 'apt-get update' then 'apt-get
> dist-upgrade'. I've never run 'apt-get upgrade', what do I get with that
> command ?

"apt-get upgrade" magically updates only the packages you would want
upgraded, but only those that will not cause problems at runtime, it's
kind of a "brain wave plus future telling" to rpm interface. I'm
surprised you are not using it.

Just kidding :-)

"upgrade" does not try to install any new packages, whether they are
needed or not by other upgrades. So in general it may not upgrade
everything. "dist-upgrade" does that...

-- Fernando