[PlanetCCRMA] ecasound 2.4.0

Kai Vehmanen kvehmanen@eca.cx
Thu Apr 7 15:16:01 2005

Hi all,

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 10:45, Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Any thought about updating ecasound to the latest 2.4.0 release for
> It is in my pipeline, I was just wondering on whether to package plain
> 2.4.0 without arts support or his snapshot with it, or wait for a proper
> release with arts support. It would, I think, be easier to package 2.4.0
> without arts support (I don't think any Planet CCRMA dwellers would miss

if all goes well, I'll release 2.4.1 later today.

But as I've already mentioned on ecasound-list, at this point my
recommendation is to in any case disable aRts support in the Planet
package. As 1) aRts's development has now stopped, 2) Ecasound only
supports the aRts libartsc wrapper API (no extra functionality available,
just basic audio input and output), and 3) the artsdsp wrapper [1] is
quite mature and works nicely with Ecasound's OSS plugin in case you are
running artsd.

And on the positive side, Ecasound package have will then have one
dependency less (aRts package is no longer required to install Ecasound).

[1] http://docs.kde.org/en/3.4/kdemultimedia/artsbuilder/artsdsp.html

--
  http://www.eca.cx
  Audio software for Linux!