[PlanetCCRMA] qsynth/fluidsynth

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc@rncbc.org
Thu Apr 14 02:27:01 2005

> hi again.. now - fluidsynth
>
> I could've sworn six months ago I had qsynth installed on a planet box and
> it was relatively simple to load a bunch of sound fonts in the "setup"
> dialog, then go click on channels, right click each channel, and choose
> edit, and it would show me all the soundfonts and I could create a
> multitimbral synth by choosing different ones for different channels...
>
> but tonight, i'm right clicking, choosing edit, and getting only the first
> soundfont
>
> down in just fluidsynth from the command line I'm pretty much in the same
> boat - can load a font, it gets assigned to channel 1 - then if I load
> another one, it just replaces it and there's no way to assign them to
> various channels
>
> does anyone what am I doing wrong?  or is there a problem going on?

You're doing nothing wrong. Only your expectations were :)

Look at it as a soundfont stack. Patches with the same bank+program number
are overriden by the soundfonts that have been last loaded. E.g. if you
have two fully GM mapped soundfonts loaded, most probably you can only
access the programs of the second loaded soundfont.

One solution is loading this "conflicting" soudfonts on different
qsynth/fluidsynth engines.

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela