[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4? Slowly getting there

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Thu Dec 1 13:05:02 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:25 +0100, Paquita wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> >The only major advantage I see in FC3 is the availability of cdrom
> >images which I have not recreated yet for FC4 (but FC4 has a full blown
> >"all included" install dvd - experimental, of course). If you don't need
> >them you could go with FC4. For the current status of the FC4 packages
> >as compared to FC3 see:
> >  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/fc4buildstatus.html
> >

> [Sorry Fernando for polluting you mailbox with my earlier replies, I had
> missed the Reply-to-Sender setting of the list]
>
> To sum up:
> - following your advice and Matt Marian's, I installed FC4.
> - then I failed to find the planetccrma-core package in the repos, so I
> tried planetccrma-core-edge.
> - after rebooting, I got a kernel panic.
> - I then searched more with apt-cache, and found and installed
> kernel-2.6.12-0.9.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma.i686.rpm, which I hope is the right
> non-edge kernel.

    You're doing better than I am.  I just loaded FC4, got the latest
and greatest apt stuff, modified the sources.list file to say 4 instead
of 2 (since I couldn't find a link for a FC 4 specific sources.list),
and I get the following:

[root@eviltwin ~]# apt-get update
Get:1 http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386 release [1618B]
Fetched 1618B in 1s (987B/s)
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/core pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/core release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/updates pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/updates release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetcore pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetcore release
Err http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma srclist
  404 Not Found
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/core pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/core release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/updates pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/updates release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma release
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetcore pkglist
Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetcore release
Failed to fetch
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt/fedora/4/i386/base/srclist.planetccrma  404 Not Found
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Release file did not contain checksum information for
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt/fedora/4/i386/base/srclist.planetccrma
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Is there some better documentation for doing FC4?

Jan