[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4? Slowly getting there

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Thu Dec 1 13:58:02 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 13:21 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 09:02 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:

> > > [Sorry Fernando for polluting you mailbox with my earlier replies, I had
> > > missed the Reply-to-Sender setting of the list]
> > >
> > > To sum up:
> > > - following your advice and Matt Marian's, I installed FC4.
> > > - then I failed to find the planetccrma-core package in the repos, so I
> > > tried planetccrma-core-edge.
> > > - after rebooting, I got a kernel panic.
> > > - I then searched more with apt-cache, and found and installed
> > > kernel-2.6.12-0.9.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma.i686.rpm, which I hope is the right
> > > non-edge kernel.
> >
> >     You're doing better than I am.  I just loaded FC4, got the latest
> > and greatest apt stuff, modified the sources.list file to say 4 instead
> > of 2 (since I couldn't find a link for a FC 4 specific sources.list),
> > and I get the following:
> >
> > [root@eviltwin ~]# apt-get update
> > Get:1 http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386 release [1618B]
> > Fetched 1618B in 1s (987B/s)
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/core pkglist
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/core release
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/updates pkglist
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/updates release
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma pkglist
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma release
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetcore pkglist
> > Hit http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetcore release
> > Err http://ccrma.stanford.edu fedora/4/i386/planetccrma srclist
> >   404 Not Found
>
> I don't have the source packages in the repository as they are common to
> all the distros (sorry, I know I could fix this somehow...) They can be
> found at:
>   http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/
>
> If you comment out the src line, the rest should work (hopefully)
>
> -- Fernando

   Thanks!  That cleared that part up.  Now when I try to get the kernel
I get:

[root@eviltwin apt]# apt-get -o RPM::Install-Options::=--oldpackage
install planetccrma-core
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package planetccrma-core

Am I just not reading the instructions correctly?

Jan