[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4? Slowly getting there

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Thu Dec 1 22:54:02 2005

Jan Depner wrote:
  >     Outstanding!!!  It works!  Now, hopefully, just one more thing
> before I start getting the applications.  I'll need the kernel source
> since I'll be running NVIDIA's display driver.  Can you clue me in on
> where that is?

not sure if you need it? while i was using CCRMA's FC4 kernels, i never
had to install the source kernel package ... just do the
./nvidia-installer thing ... although i seem to remember reading
fernando saying something about the latest kernels needing source
packages to compile modules (i've been building my own kernels for a
while now, so this could be true). may as well try installing the nvidia
module without kernel sources, see how it goes ;)

>     Of course, after that I'll have to figure out how to get
> low-latency, real-time operation with this kernel ;-)
>
>     Many thanks Fernando, I hope you know what a great resource the
> Planet is for the rest of us out here.  You're making our lives
> amazingly easier.

amen to that! if it wasn't for fernando i'd still be using windows ... ugh!

shayne