[PlanetCCRMA] rtirq and rtload

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Fri Dec 2 03:02:03 2005

Michael T D Nelson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a fully updated FC3 PlanetCCRMA set-up, using a
> 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel.
>
> Despite reading Linux Audio for some years now, I have always just let
> my PlanetCCRMA updates take care of keeping my machine running smoothly.
> Most of the time, it has worked very pleasingly. On the few occasions
> when things have gone wrong, I have received very impressive help from
> this and other lists... Thank you!
>
> ********************
>
> I was just poking around, and found this...
>
> In my 'Service Configuration' window, I see that I have both 'rtirq' and
> 'rtload' started (runlevel 5).
>
> 'rtirq' has a list of (presumably) irq data in the 'status' panel of the
> window.
>
> 'rtload' has the following text in the 'status' panel: 'the realtime
> module does not exist on this kernel.[WARNING]'
>
> I assume that this is all expected.

yep, the rtload module has been ditched in favour of the
realtime-preempt patch (or something like that) in the newer kernels
(2.6.12 onwards?).

> Since there is no realtime module for my kernel, should I disable
> 'rtload'? I take it that this will also stop the warning messages that I
> see when I boot my machine into this runlevel.

yes, i think so.

another wierd aspect to the later kernels and their modules - when i go
into /usr/sbin/ntsysv, it lists the 'rtirq' service as not being
enabled, when it clearly is ... if i enable it, it is disenabled in
ntsysv upon restart ... inconsequential, but wierd.

shayne