[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4? Slowly getting there

Fri Dec 2 13:14:01 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 23:18 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 17:53 +1100, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> > Jan Depner wrote:
> >   >     Outstanding!!!  It works!  Now, hopefully, just one more thing
> > > before I start getting the applications.  I'll need the kernel source
> > > since I'll be running NVIDIA's display driver.  Can you clue me in on
> > > where that is?
> > >

> > not sure if you need it? while i was using CCRMA's FC4 kernels, i never
> > had to install the source kernel package ... just do the
> > ./nvidia-installer thing ... although i seem to remember reading
> > fernando saying something about the latest kernels needing source
> > packages to compile modules (i've been building my own kernels for a
> > while now, so this could be true). may as well try installing the nvidia
> > module without kernel sources, see how it goes ;)
> >
> > >     Of course, after that I'll have to figure out how to get
> > > low-latency, real-time operation with this kernel ;-)
> > >
> > >     Many thanks Fernando, I hope you know what a great resource the
> > > Planet is for the rest of us out here.  You're making our lives
> > > amazingly easier.
> >
> > amen to that! if it wasn't for fernando i'd still be using windows ... ugh!
> >
> > shayne
> >

> Shayne,
>
>     You seem to know your way around the new 2.6 stuff.  How do I get
> the low-latency/preempt stuff working.  I used to run root SCHED_FIFO
> and set low-latency in /proc under 2.4.  Is there any information
> anywhere about getting the most out of the new core-edge kernel?

Hopefully you don't need to do anything :-)

You should be able to run SCHED_FIFO as a normal user, no need to login
as root for that. Depending on which kernel you are booting there is a
module that enables access to that that should be automatically loaded,
or it is built into the kernel but needs a tweaked PAM that is part of
the Planet CCRMA packages.

-- Fernando