[PlanetCCRMA] rtirq and rtload

Fri Dec 2 13:19:03 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 10:41 +0000, Michael T D Nelson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a fully updated FC3 PlanetCCRMA set-up, using a
> 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel.
>
> Despite reading Linux Audio for some years now, I have always just let
> my PlanetCCRMA updates take care of keeping my machine running smoothly.
> Most of the time, it has worked very pleasingly. On the few occasions
> when things have gone wrong, I have received very impressive help from
> this and other lists... Thank you!
>
> ********************
>
> I was just poking around, and found this...
>
> In my 'Service Configuration' window, I see that I have both 'rtirq' and
> 'rtload' started (runlevel 5).
>
> 'rtirq' has a list of (presumably) irq data in the 'status' panel of the
> window.
>
> 'rtload' has the following text in the 'status' panel: 'the realtime
> module does not exist on this kernel.[WARNING]'
>
> I assume that this is all expected.
>
> Since there is no realtime module for my kernel, should I disable
> 'rtload'? I take it that this will also stop the warning messages that I
> see when I boot my machine into this runlevel.
>
> My current understanding is that stopping 'rtload' will only have
> adverse effects on realtime performance when I choose to boot into a
> kernel with a realtime module. Is this correct?

That is correct. "rtload" is only needed if your kernel has the realtime
lsm module. You can disable it if you are getting the warning that the
kernel module does not exist (maybe I should create a new version that
does not print the warning...). But you can also leave it on, the only
thing it does is load the module if it exists (that is, it is not a
"service" in the sense it does not start a daemon process or take up
resources after it starts).

-- Fernando