[PlanetCCRMA] Noteedit packaging suggestion

Fri Dec 2 13:46:02 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 19:32 +0100, Luis Garrido wrote:
> I have a suggestion about noteedit packaging.
>
> As it is now, noteedit is packaged with the ability to output midi via
> libkmidi. Unfortunately, this means that it depends on kdebase and
> kdemultimedia, which adds some 72 MB of KDE bloat to your
> installation. I think noteedit only uses khelpcenter from kdebase and
> libkmidi from kdemultimedia, but the way kde is packaged you have to
> install the full bundle.
>
> I fail to understand why kde is packaged like that... why not use
> metapackages for users that don't want to trouble with fine tuning and
> let more selective users hand pick their own choices?

I don't know, I guess that'd be a question for the Fedora Core lists...
Most probably at some point is a matter of resources (ie: who does it if
it is deemed to be important).

> Anyway, I downloaded the tse3 and noteedit SRPMs and edited out arts
> dependency in tse3 and all the kde and arts stuff in noteedit from the
> spec files. I rebuilt and installed tse3 and then noteedit. The
> autoconf procedure gave the corresponding "crippled" RPMs without a
> hitch. I checked out that noteedit plays qsynth correctly via
> TSE3/ALSA.
>
> What I suggest is to add the packages tse3-noarts and noteedit-noarts
> to the Planet to avoid dependency of kdebase and kdemultimedia. It
> only needs minor changes to the spec files. Probably adding
> --without-arts to the tse3 build and --without-libkmid --without-arts
> to the noteedit one.

Interesting suggestion...

The packages you suggest, I imagine they would conflict with the normal
tse3 and noteedit packages, right? So that both cannot be installed at
the same time?

Personally I don't feel that the fact that they link to big libraries
(or packages) is a big deal. I have not checked, but I'm pretty sure
that other packages in Planet CCRMA will pull those libraries anyway so
I don't know if this actually fixes anything - that is, if you do a
comprehensive install you will get them anyway. I always try to build
packages (within reason) with all the options they can support
available, so this seems wrong to me. But that's just my opinion...

-- Fernando