[PlanetCCRMA] New PC - Athlon 64 (Veering OT)

Michael T D Nelson m_nels@gmx.net
Sat Dec 3 07:47:01 2005

Jan Depner wrote:
> My poor old Athlon XP 1700+ is dying from heat prostration so I'm
> planning on asking the ball and chain if I can get a new toy.

Good luck! I always make sure that my upgrades are sneaky so I don't get
told off!

I'm actually replacing my own Athlon XP 1700+ shortly. I think a 2800+
will do me nicely for now, along with a gigabyte of RAM.

I'm going to sell the 1700+ to a mate (along with a spare NForce2
motherboard and 256Mb of RAM), to offset the cost of the new CPU and RAM.

He gets a better computer, and I get a pretty significant upgrade.
Neither of us pay very much for it. With some luck, my girlfriend won't
even notice it has happened...

Did you really have heat problems? Which 1700+ was it? Mine hardly feels
the heat at all, even when it was stress-tested. It's only got a cheap
copper heatsink (fins fanned out manually) and a single fan running on 5
volts.

Regards
Michael Nelson