[PlanetCCRMA] Re: New PC - Athlon 64

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Sat Dec 3 10:15:02 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 11:51 -0600, Chris Synan wrote:
> I wanted to weigh in on the chip discussion, having just upgraded my
> machine to Athlon 64 4400 x2 -- running PlanetCCRMA 32 bit SMP.

    Thanks for the feedback.  Between you and Mark I feel pretty
comfortable with the decision.  I just ordered the box so I guess I'll
know in a few days whether it was a good choice or not.

> It runs very solid and very fast.  Before my upgrade (single athlon
> 1800), jack, ardour + jamin would peg my CPU at 100% and start dropping
> frames.  Now under the same load both CPU's are 15% or less.  I really
> believe I made the right purchase.
>
> I researched this decision for a long time and decided that although
> there are 64 bit multimedia distros (64 studio etc) I will wait for
> CCRMA to go 64 bit.  Besides, seems to me that the main benefit of 64
> bit is the ability to access memory >4GB.  I dont have that much memory
> anyway.  On the other hand, the main benefit of dual core is that you
> can spin off threads to other CPU to double processing bandwidth -- IF
> the apps are multithreaded.  AFAIK Ardour is multithreaded, and best I
> can tell JAMIN is as well.

    Yep.  The DSP code and the JACK code run in separate threads.

>   So for me there was a huge incentive to go
> dual core.  A lot of games are not multithreaded so you wont see quite
> as much benefit there, although there is still some benefit because the
> system bg processes can use one CPU while your game uses the other.
>
> Best of luck, and thanks so much to Fernando and CCRMA!!!

    Couldn't agree more!

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744