[PlanetCCRMA] to restore the MBR

Bert bourdon@kabelfoon.net
Tue Dec 6 14:34:01 2005

Mario Torre schreef:

> 7lb9oz Productions wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a question that is not specific to FC or CCRMA, but it is
>> required info for my system so I will go ahead and ask it here.
>>
>> I have windowsXP installed to my primary master, and FC3 on my
>> primary slave.  This has been my test install and I am now ready to
>> finalize the install, but I am going to set up slightly different
>> using removable HDs.
>> FC3 will be completely reinstalled, but I would like to keep the XP
>> install as is.  How do I go about restoring the MBR so that it will
>> remove grub and just boot straight to XP as before?  Do I just boot
>> from the XP cdrom and choose the option to "repair this windows OS"?
>> Or, can I just do the old fdisk mbr?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> SMH
>

> Hi!
>
> You can still use grub to do run XP as default. Anyway, it's a lot of
> time that I do not do something like that, but if I remember you
> should be able to restore the MBR with fdisk under windows (dos?).
> Just type fdisk /MBR on the command line.
>
> You should check for drawbacks about using this tool, because I don't
> remember if there are any (wow, for what I can tell I have _never_
> removed a linux installation!).
>
> Hope that helps,
> Mario

Hello,

You can use the fdisk /MBR command but you have to boot into real Dos
which is not a part of XP anymore so you will need a bootfloppy from
Windows 98. If your XP filesystem is NTFS it will complain that it
cannot find a filesystem but you can just ignore that. From the disk you
execute the fdisk /MBR and then reboot; XP will start normally. Don't
forget to backup beforehand; there is always the possibility of things
going the wrong way. In case of doubt simply keep grub and with your new
installation put it again on the MBR. It will detect your XP and
overwrite the former grub.

Greetings,
Bert