[PlanetCCRMA] upgrading ccrma to FC4 from FC1 question

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Sun Jul 3 12:09:01 2005

tom poe wrote:

>I haven't read the wonderful words of Fernando in the
>ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ section since at least last
>year, so will do that, shortly.  I have always had 56k modem capability,
>and keeping CCRMA current was always a big problem for me, personally.
>I have relocated to the midwest, and the internet access choices are
>Third World quality.  :)
>
>I am now paying huge bucks for a DSL connection that gives me 27Kb/s
>download time.  This makes keeping current a lot more doable.  So,
>having successfully "dist-upgrade" with apt, my FC1 stands ready to make
>the push to get to FC4, using just my DSL connection (I don't have a
>CD/RW drive available).  Is there a preferred approach described for
>accomplishing this goal?
>Tom

I have actually found apt-get *more* reliable for upgrading than doing a
CD install.
It's only anecdotal evidence, but I have upgraded via apt-get since FC1.
For FC4 I decided to try using the CD upgrade and it destroyed my rpm
database.
It doesn't seem to have logic in the installer to handle custom packages
etc as well as apt-get.
At least apt-get will warn you what is going to happen.
You may want a Knoppix disk handy for recovery if you can get one though :-)

David