[PlanetCCRMA] Reordering Sound Cards

Janina Sajka janina@rednote.net
Wed Jul 6 11:45:02 2005

Can anyone advise on how best to rearrange the order of multiple sound
cards in an FC4 system?

I am trying to setup a pretty snappy P4 box for audio work. It has an on
board Intel 8X0 and I've plopped my HDSP Multiface's PCI interface card
inside. The FC4 installation set the HDSP up as card 0, and the onboard
Intel as card 1. Well, that's the opposite of what I want, but just
switching the designations in /etc/modprobe.conf doesn't do the trick.

I can successfully:

aplay -D hw:0,0

to play to the Intel. But aplay all alone just gives me an error.

My reasoning for keeping the 8X0 in the systemis to have it grab all the audio by default, such as
my software TTS speech interface on the GUI, etc. In particular I would
not want my screen reader audio events intermixed with my
compositions/performances.

Should I physically move my HDSP PCI interface to another slot and run
Kudzu? What's the best way to get Fedora to reorder these devices?

Thanks in advance for all advice on this.

janina@freestandards.org		http://a11y.org

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.494.7040

Bringing the Owasys 22C screenless cell phone to the U.S. and Canada. Go to http://www.ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.