[PlanetCCRMA] Sony VAIO S4

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 08:27:01 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:43:13 -0400, Brian Panulla wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the S3/S4, but I'm using a Vaio A250 dual-booting
> XP and FC3/CCRMA. I'm pretty happy with it, though I'm still getting
> used to the Linux audio apps. The  Intel 2200BG wireless works well.
> Once I got my display working at 1280x800 resolution under X I was much
> happier. I haven't gotten my VAIO hardware buttons to work, or my
> MemoryStick slot, and power management seems to be minimal. I really
> haven't had a lot of time to track down the various hardware issues, but
> they haven't been too critical as I mostly use the notebook for Web
> development under XP.

Shame, I'd like to get the powermanagement working. I have another laptop
for travel, but I'd like to be able to use the Sony on shorter trips.

The S4 also has a 1280x800 screen, so I'm glad X can handle it, though a
bit a modeline hacking can useually get anything running :)

> I still get a lot of Xruns in JACK, and I'm not sure why. I think it may
> be that I have extra services or maybe network interfaces competing for
> processor time. I'm still using the more stable "ll" CCRMA kernel, since
> my touchpad mouse motion becomes very odd under the rdt kernels,
> possibly because it's an Alps touchpad, and X is using the Synapics driver?.
>
> I have the suspicion that my wireless NIC is a contributor to my Xruns,
> but I haven't done a real test yet.

My previous laptop (IBM T41p, strongly recommend against them, nice to use
but bad build quality despite the appearance) had an ipw2100, which is very
similar, and it seemed fine for xruns. Laptops can be quite odd inside
though.

- Steve