FW: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Problems starting JACK

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Jul 8 08:33:02 2005

On 7/8/05, Michael T D Nelson <m_nels@gmx.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> >Rebooting is not necessary. Rebooting will not clean up the files.
> >After some bad system event, like pulling the power, you just have to
> >do it by hand.
> >
> Well, you say that rebooting is not necessary. It *is* true that rebooting alone does not help at all. The files stay in place, and jack won't start.
>
> However, if I simply remove the files, I can't get jack to start, until I reboot the machine. Does anyone understand why this is? I guess I should probably go and ask this on the jack mailing list, but I'm already signed up to more lists that I can keep up with - especially after having a forced break from the Internet for a couple of weeks...
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Michael,
   The only things I can remember seeing that stopped Jack from starting were:

1) The left over FIFO files
2) Another running instance of Jack
3) Alsa not actually running
4) Some other application (or your window manager) grabbing the sound
card so that Jack cannot own it.

Possibly Gnome or KDE has started an audio server and that's getting
in your way?

Keep in mind that Jack must be the only device accessing your sound
card. (Short some .rc magic to make some sort of shared virtual
device) When Jack runs the only audio apps that can run are apps that
support Jack.

Hope this helps,
Mark