[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA digest, Vol 1 #1330 - 2 msgs

Ron Pepper feffer777@yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 17:44:01 2005

--- Mike Jackson <jackson@scsr.nevada.edu> wrote:

> >Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Audio recording problem
> >
> >My system is FC-3, but not the CCRMA version. Initially I had some
> >trouble getting my sound card (SB-Live! emu10Kx) to work, but
> thanks
> >to this forum and ALSA sound works pretty well now.
> >
> >I want a "radio Tivo" type set-up on my system. This should be
> >automated, so that the necessary apps would open at specific
> times,
> >record an audio stream and then stop after a set interval. Is this
> >possible? Is Audacity the best app to use for recording? I'm
> mainly
> >interested in 'talk radio' so sound quality doesn't need to be
> great.
> >Are there other apps that might be better than Audacity for simple
> >audio stream recording?
> >
> >If Audacity is a good way to go, then I have some problems getting
> it
> >to work properly. I got an error message from Audacity that other
> >programs are using ALSA. I checked the Audacity Wiki and turned
> off
> >system sounds. Now Audacity will open, but when I try to record an
> >internet radio station, I get the error, "Error while opening
> sound
> >device. Please check the input device settings and the project
> sample
> >rate." I'm still pretty new to Linux and I'm not sure how to
> resolve
> >this. Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Ron
> >

> Go into your preferences and do a sound card test. Then go into
> preferences > multimedia
> and see what you have for sound (alsa or oss). I know you need to
> disable the oss modules
> to have alsa working properly. In the CCRMA instructions, I do
> believe it tells you how to
> do this. Perhaps the oss modules are kicking in and alsa is
> reporting this error.
> -mj

Soundcard detection is OK (emu10k1x) and I can play audio-streams
(internet radio) from XMMS Ok. Preferences: Multimedia shows ALSA as
my sound system, however when I try the "test" button, I get "Failed
to construct test pipeline for 'ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture'". Is this a problem indicating all is not working
properly, or just a misleading message.

Ron