[PlanetCCRMA] System slowing down with Ardour FC4/edge-kernel (softirq-tasklet)

chromdildo chromdildo@t-online.de
Fri Jul 15 09:03:01 2005

update:

"rtload" seems to be missing for FC4, my latest version is
rtload-0.0.2-1.rhfc3.ccrma

$$ /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload status
=> "realtime module does not exist on this kernel [warning]"

Where can I get a valid rtload for the latest kernel?
(I think/hope his _is_ the case with my troubles.)

Thanks again for your time

Best regards
./chrom

----------------

BTW. during startup (runlevel 5) it tells
"realtime module does not exist on this kernel [warning]"

What's wrong with my FC4/CCRMA?

Thanks for your reply,

Tried your approach with the pci-latency... but I think my problem has
nothing to do with that.

I try to explain:
    - running CCRMA-kernel-edge + jack & Ardour (Realtime), rosegarden...:
       there's a process called "softirq-tasklet" consuming all the
available cpu-time (according to top),
       the whole system gets sloppy - but only when in "playing"-mode of
ardour, rosegarden, muse...
    - 2nd try was the stock kernel of FC4 (oh... updated via yum, I
think) - same thing,
       but the disturbing process wasn't "softirq-tasklet", it was "X"
consuming all cpu when an app was playing.
      ...also tried cinelerra with same results (video output hangs
while playing)...

Audio is clear and fine, good latency, but I can't really use anything
together with ardour....
whats the matter, am I doing something wrong?

System is: AMD 2800+, 1GB RAM, IDE HD, Delta 1010LT, geforce FX5200
(Dualhead), FedoraCore4 (upgraded from FC3)
using the ccrma-core-edge kernel

Thanks again for any replys

Best regards
./chrom