[PlanetCCRMA] transaction lock hindering upgrade

dvenable@valornet.com dvenable@valornet.com
Tue Jul 19 10:44:01 2005

I'm attempting to upgrade my distribution using apt-get, moving from FC1
to FC3.  Yes, it's risky, but I've pulled it off in the past using YUM on
another box, though that wasn't a plannetccrma distribution.  To do the
upgrade this time I simply modified the sources.list to point to FC3
versions rather than FC1.

Then I ran apt-get update, and apt-get -f dist-upgrade, but the process
failed due to various reasons, like apt requiring me to remove 2.4 kernels
before it continued.  I think I gotton rpm into a bind, because now when I
try to do apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get install, I get this:
Committing changes...
error: can't create transaction lock
W: some errors occured while running transaction

I can't find any RPM locks lying about and I'm not quite sure what to do
next.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!