[PlanetCCRMA] Here's My Problem

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Jul 28 16:16:01 2005

On 7/28/05, Chaz Kiser <chazkiser@alltel.net> wrote:
> I've been lurking on the list for awhile now.  I'm fairly good on
> computers but kind of new with linux.
>
> Here's my problem.  I'm pretty sure it can be rectified with linux but I
> don't know how.
> I recorded an small low-budget cd in a small local studio a few years
> ago.  Although I loved the end result, the cd itself never had the
> loudness that a regular cd had.  I would be playing it at a reletively
> loud range and then change cd's and always, the other cd would be nearly
> twice as loud.
> How can I make these songs louder?
> On my old recordings there were done with a cheesy four-track, how can I
> make there cleaner?
> Some of my old recordings that have been copied over from old tapes are
> too hot and therefore get a really annoying digital distortion.  Can I
> clean those up too?
>
> Chaz

Chaz,
   Rip the CD to wave files. Load the wave files into Ardour or some
other Jack compatible player and then take the output of that player
into Jamin. Tweak Jamin to get the loudness you are looking for.
Record the output of Jamin back into Wave files and make a new CD.

   NOTE: This flow means that the audio data will never be deeoer than
16-bit. If you recorded at 24-bit then that's gone as a CD only goes
to 16.

Cheers,
Mark