[PlanetCCRMA] RME digi9636 control problem

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Jun 2 14:25:02 2005

On 02 Jun 2005 13:24:47 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 06:09, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Frank,
> >    hdspmixer works with the HDSP cards (digiface, mulitface, hdsp 9652
> > - I own one) but it does not, unfortunately, work with the older
> > Hammerfall cards. (digi9636 - I own one, digi9652)
>
> Mark, now the question would be, how do you control those old cards? Not
> possible? How about good'ol command line tools like amixer? Do they do
> anything useful with those cards?
>
> -- Fernando

Fernando,
   When I had the card in a Linux box I wasn't smart enough to figure
that out. Today I'd guess it's either an amixer command or possibly
'you can't and you have to do it in your application' As for mine it's
now used in a Windows box with GigaStudio so I cannot test that. I'll
bet Steve Harris knows the answer if he's reading. He uses some of
these unless he's updated hardware.

   I'd really love to see someone do some work on hdspmixer to maybe
handle this but as soon as you open that can of worms it will bite
you. The HDSP cards calculate the VU meters in hardware. The digi
cards don't do any of that so it would be very tempting to start doing
that in software and probably overwhelm the machine.

Cheers,
Mark