[PlanetCCRMA] Problems starting JACK

Michael T D Nelson m_nels@gmx.net
Fri Jun 17 03:09:02 2005

Hi all,

I have a complete FC3 installation, with a complete set of up-to-date
PlanetCCRMA packages installed. The machine is a P3 700 on a SuperMicro
board, using a dirt-cheap CMI8738 PCI card, and some odd combination
like 632Mb of SDRAM.

I boot into Xfce, and run qjackctl from the menu. This has worked for me
recently. However, when I attempt to start jack, qjackctl gives the
following messages:

**********
11:01:23.374 Startup script...
11:01:23.375 artsshell -q terminate
11:01:23.802 Startup script terminated with exit status=256.
11:01:23.803 JACK is starting...
11:01:23.803 /usr/bin/jackd -v -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
11:01:23.824 JACK was started with PID=7504 (0x1d50).
cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)
jackd: wait for startup process exit failed
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_oss.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/jack/jack_alsa.so
jackd 0.99.36
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
too many servers already active
11:01:24.057 JACK was stopped with exit status=2.
11:01:25.847 Could not connect to JACK server as client.
**********

Now, I've looked through the archives of a few lists, and see a
suggestion that this line "too many servers already active" implies that
jack might already be running. However, when I do this:
     ps aux | grep jack
the only things running are '/usr/bin/qjackctl' and 'grep jack'

Well, this bit also looks bad:

'cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)
jackd: wait for startup process exit failed'

Does this tell anyone what my problem is?

Thanks
Michael Nelson