[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA and RAID: which way to go?

Mon Jun 27 11:25:02 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 11:15, Henk Jansen wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 10:44 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 04:43, Henk Jansen wrote:
> > > Ok, couldn't get the 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma kernel to reccognize my
> > > raid0 setup, but the 2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma kernel does! Using this
> > > kernel I end up with a normally running system that allows me to do
> > > things as usual (mail, internet, ...). However, when I attempt starting
> > > the jack server I obtain:
> > >
> > > [root@jaki jans2]# jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
> > > jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
> > >            =ep cap_setpcap-ep
> > >     probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
> > >     a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"
> >
> > As Joe said on 2.6.x based systems it is enough to use "jackd" instead
> > of "jackstart" (jackstart will complain but will work anyway). Another
> > piece you need for that particular kernel is to have the realtime lsm
> > kernel module loaded but that is activated as part of the normal install
> > if you use the planetccrma-core-* meta packages.
>
> [jans2@jaki jans2]$ /sbin/lsmod | grep lsm
> [jans2@jaki jans2]$ find /lib/modules/2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/ | grep
> lsm
> [jans2@jaki jans2]$
>
> (i.o.w.: nothing 'lsm module' like is loaded by the kernel or found in
> the modules directory...)
>
> However:
>
> [jans2@jaki jans2]$ /sbin/lsmod | grep realtime
> realtime                5256  0
> commoncap               7040  1 realtime

Yes, "realtime" is the one, I should have been more explicit. So jackd
should start with "-R" and not complain at all.

> (read on about soundcard ...)
>

> > > back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
> > > jackstart: could not give capabilities: Operation not permitted
> > > jackd 0.99.36
> > > Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> > > jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> > > This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> > > under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> > >
> > > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> > > apparent rate = 44100
> > > creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> > > configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> > > Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> > > Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> > > nperiods = 2 for capture
> > > Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> > > Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> > > nperiods = 2 for playback
> > > jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
> > > Aborted
> > > [root@jaki jans2]#
> >
> > Hmmm, looks like jack is hanging (and its watchdog process is killing
> > it)... what soundcard do you have installed?
>
> My soundcard: C-Media Electronics Inc CM738
> Driver:       snd-cmipci

I'd try to see what happens if you start jack with more periods, for
example 3 (option "-n" - perhaps you will also need to reduce the length
of the buffer, for example "-p 512 -n 3").

-- Fernando