[PlanetCCRMA] (OT-ish) Dual-boot advice

Michael Gurevich gurevich@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu May 12 19:47:01 2005

Hi,

Sorry this is somewhat off-topic, but I really haven't been able to find a
reliable answer elsewhere and figured maybe someone here has been through
this before.

I have inherited a nice Dell dual Xeon server with a 36Gb SCSI drive and
LSI21320 controller. I want to leave the SCSI drive as it is with a
Windows XP installation, and install FC3 on a new IDE drive. I previously
tried to install RH9 and after a few reboots I wasn't able to boot to the
Linux drive anymore. I found some vague comments on the web about GRUB
getting "confused" with a mix of SCSI and IDE drives, but nothing more.

As far as I can tell, I have 3 options (assuming I use GRUB):
1. Install GRUB on the /dev/hda (IDE) MBR, set the system bios to boot
to the IDE drive and add the windows system to the GRUB boot menu.
2. Install GRUB on the /dev/sda (SCSI) MBR.
3. Install GRUB on a /boot partition on the IDE drive and use the Windows
bootloader which can apparently be configured to boot Linux.

Any advice?

thanks,
Michael.