[PlanetCCRMA] running OSS/Alsa apps remotely

Sat May 14 15:07:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 14:14, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    I want to run a music player (Aqualung) on a remote FC2/Planet
> machine so that the person at the far end hears the music I program.
> When I try to do this I seem to run into permissions problems:
>
> [mark@Christmas mark]$ uname -r
> 2.6.9-1.6_FC2
> [mark@Christmas mark]$
>
> [mark@Christmas mark]$ aqualung -o oss
> oss_init: open of /dev/dsp failed: Permission denied
> [mark@Christmas mark]$
>
> If I'm sitting at that machine this works. I get the same sort of
> errors using Alsa instead of OSS emulation.
>
> I do not get permissions problems if I su - to root.
>
>    Is there a way to make this work?

"/etc/security/console.perms" controls this. This sets the permissions
that devices have when somebody is logged in the console (or not). "man
console.perms" for more details.

The default is that whoever is logged in owns the devices and nobody
else can use them (and eavesdrop through an open mike, for example).

-- Fernando