[PlanetCCRMA] FC3, ALSA and Noteedit; scheduler issue

Mon May 16 14:07:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 11:18, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 10:58, Nick Metrowsky wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I am running FC3 and I installed everything from the FC3 CDs, as well
> > as, Planet CCRMA. I am running the stock FC3 kernel, because my laptop
> > internal wireless requires ndiswrapper, which is not happy with the
> > Planet CCRMA low-level kernel. Under either kernel, I still have the
> > same problem I am about to describe.
> >
> > When I start up noteedit, and some other applications, I get the
> > following error:
> >
> > kbuildsycoca running...
> > Reusing existing ksycoca
> > LilyPond check: found version: 2.4.5
> > WITHOUT semicolons.
> > WITH wavelines (for trills)
> > WITH slures in graces
> > NOTE LENGTHs after chords
> > "\property" keyword does not exist
> > cannot create an ALSA MIDI Scheduler
> > cannot create an OSS MIDI Scheduler
> > error opening Midi Device --> music cannot be played
> > TSE3 Copyright information :(c) Pete Goodliffe, 2000-2002. A Trax
> > Software Product. Version: 0.2.7
> > QCheckBox::setProperty( "Checked", value ) failed: property invalid,
> > read-only or does not exist
> >
> > I have tried changing the noteedit configuration, and whatever I try I
> > still get a message stating that it cannot create a scheduler OSS or ALSA.
>
> It looks like the alsa sequencer module may not be up and running
> (search for it with "/sbin/ldmod|grep snd-seq").

Noteedit is only looking for the OSS sequencer (apparently something is
not right with the underlying Tse3 library - I have to look at that at
some point) and the device file for it is missing as udev does not
create it.

You could do this (as root) to test:
  cd /dev
  ./MAKEDEV sequencer
  chown sequencer YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME

After this you should be able to restart noteedit and it will (should?)
find the oss sequencer device.

You could move the device node to /etc/udev/devices so that it will be
recreated on reboot:
  mv /dev/sequencer /etc/udev/devices/
If you reboot the device should be recreated and should have the right
permissions after you login (at least that happens in my tests).

-- Fernando