[PlanetCCRMA] RAID questions...kernel patch?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 20 10:55:02 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:19:55 -0700, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > The expensive ones :) there not likly to be in onboard chipsets. 3ware
> > cards are genuine hardware RAID, and most of them are supported.
>
> That's what I have in two of my servers. But I ended using them as very
> fast multiple drive sata interfaces for software raid5 (they are 64 bit
> 66 MHz cards, if you use a lot of drives regular 33MHz will eventually
> saturate the pci bus). Write performance was not good.

Ah. We've got some of the older PATA ones here and did the same thing, so
it still seems like software RAID is a better bet.

OTOH I have a couple of 19" chasis that take 16 IDE disks and RAID them to
appear as a large SCSI disk (similar to the 3ware cards), and those work
very well. Big and very loud though.

- Steve