[PlanetCCRMA] Audiophile 2496 FC3 new install

Mon May 23 10:22:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 03:25, Frank smith wrote:
> Hi
> I have just installed a clean FC3 and added the apt-get planet CCRMA
> stuff.
>
> My M-Audio doesn't seem to be playing, I'm trying to use the spdiff in
> and out only.

I'd sugest you first try the analog i/o. Spdif is actually channels 9
and 10 (I think) in the i/o stream. Most apps will connect by default to
1 ans 2.

> I have tried to load and install the envy24control but not sure where to
> put it, and the install script fails.

"envy24control" is part of the alsa-tools, which should already be
installed in your system if you did install one of the
"planetccrma-core-*" meta packages.

> I can run ardour as root only and it seems jack is running as root.

There is no need to run jack and/or its clients as root. If you are
booting into one of the Planet CCRMA kernels "jackd -R -d alsa -d hw"
should start with no problems and with the right privileges.

> Also here is output from running Ardour as user:

> Ardour/GTK 0.9beta29
>    (built using 0.589.2 with libardour 0.887.1)
> Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Paul Davis
> Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel
> Baker
> Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
> jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
>            =ep cap_setpcap-ep
>     probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
>     a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"

You should be able to use "jackd" instead of "jackstart", jackstart will
complain but in the end jack will be fine (using the right privileges).

> back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
> jackstart: could not give capabilities: Operation not permitted
> jackd 0.99.36
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> nperiods = 2 for capture
> nperiods = 2 for playback
> JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
> jack_create_thread: error -1 switching current thread to rt for
> inheritance: Unk nown error 4294967295

This is weird. What kernel are you running? ("uname -r" to find out).

-- Fernando