[PlanetCCRMA] snd_seq loaded but no midi

Wed May 25 15:56:01 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 17:44, Kenneth wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 04:10, Kenneth wrote:
> >>cat /proc/asound/devices
> >>  0: [0- 0]: ctl
> >> 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
> >> 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
> >> 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
> >> 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
> >>  1:       : sequencer
> >> 33:       : timer
> >> 32: [1- 0]: ctl
> >> 48: [1- 0]: digital audio playback
> >> 56: [1- 0]: digital audio capture
> >>

> >>	I'm guessing that starting pd with -mididev 2 would point it to the sequencer in the device list, but that didn't work either.
> >>	Also JACK fails to recognize the keyboard as well. Before I would just run pd through JACK and everything was fine.
> >>

> >Ah, pd, of course. Pd (the version at Planet CCRMA, at least) still uses
> >oss for midi i/o. See if you have the OSS midi devices in /dev ("ls -l
> >/dev/midi*")
> >
> And we have a winner... there are no midi devices in the /dev or
> /dev/snd directories. So... how do I fix that? I checked my kernel and
> the oss sequencer API is compiled as a moduled together with alsa.

I have not yet transfered from the "planetedge" repository to the normal
repository the packages that have this fix (part of the alsa-driver
pacakge). You can copy these couple of lines:

=== CUT HERE ===
# alsa-driver: add symbolic link too oss midi device in /dev
KERNEL="midi[CD0-9]*", SYMLINK="midi%e"
=== CUT HERE ===

to a file named "/etc/udev/rules.d/40-ossmidi.rules"
I don't know how to restart udev, I guess a reboot will do :-)
-- Fernando