[PlanetCCRMA] snd_seq loaded but no midi

Kenneth cocteau@phreaker.net
Wed May 25 19:04:02 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 19:41, Kenneth wrote:
>

>>Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>>I have not yet transfered from the "planetedge" repository to the normal
>>>repository the packages that have this fix (part of the alsa-driver
>>>pacakge). You can copy these couple of lines:
>>>
>>>=== CUT HERE ===
>>># alsa-driver: add symbolic link too oss midi device in /dev
>>>KERNEL="midi[CD0-9]*", SYMLINK="midi%e"
>>>=== CUT HERE ===
>>>
>>>to a file named "/etc/udev/rules.d/40-ossmidi.rules"
>>>I don't know how to restart udev, I guess a reboot will do :-)
>>>

>>ok... that was a little weird. Seems that file was already there with
>>exactly those two lines in it and nothing else. Is there another way to
>>get the kernel to recognize this?
>>

>I should pay more attention..... argh....
>The listing of devices above is not listing any raw midi interfaces. It
>has to show something like this:
>
> 40: [1- 0]: raw midi
>
>So... the second card (the edirol?) is not being completely recognized
>by the system, audio is there but midi is not. Isn't the Edirol 25 the
>card that has a couple of different "modes"? I think not all of them are
>fully supported. You should try to use it in the other mode than it is
>now (I think it is either "Advanced" or "Normal", try "Normal")
>
>Sorry I did not notice this earlier.
>-- Fernando

Quite alright, you're giving me more help than I could have hoped for :)

But the Edirol UA series has got the "advanced" and "normal" modes.
However FC3 (the only linux I've been able to try it on) will only
recognize it correctly when it is set to 'normal', meaning only 16bit
44.1 kHz resolution and no midi (through the old five pin connecters).
In advanced mode it is being recognized as a Roland sound device of some
sort but I wasn't ever able to make it say anything at all, so
connecting through the edirol is not an option.

Strange thing is though, that raw midi is being loaded as module
(snd_rawmidi), it just doesn't show in the device listing. I don't thing
this has anything to do with the edirol, as the keyboard is plugged
directly into the computer via usb.

Oh, and again. I'm really appreciating you're doing this.

kenneth